I took an hour out this week to make a slip for Leann. She asked me to make her an eyelet slip back around Christmas. I purchased the eyelet in January and it has been sitting in my sewing room since. In order to make a slip or a simple skirt, I usually purchase a length of material that is the hip measurement plus 10 inches. That allows me to make a slim skirt or a moderately full skirt. For the eyelet slip, I purchased double the length I needed in order to do a gathered flounce of the eyelet.
to make the slip:
1. I determined I wanted a 10 inch flounce. this was mainly due to the amount of embroidered eyelet on the edge. I serged the flounce off the entire length of fabric.
2. I cut the remaining fabric to her approximate hip measurement plus 8 inches. This gives a nice loose slip. I am doing this in one piece instead of a separate back & front for speed and ease.
3. I gathered the flounce to the body of the slip. I quartered each piece, then pinned the flounce to the slip gathering evenly across the full width. Then I sewed the flounce to the slip.
4. I determined the finished length of the slip to be 24 inches, which on Leann is a few inches below the knee. I cut the excess off of the top of the slip.
5. I sewed the the slip into a tube, creating one center back seam.
6. I had 3/4 inch wide elastic for the top. I cut that equal to her waist measurement. I created a casing at the top of the slip by folding over 1 1/4″ and zig-zag stitching over the raw edge, leaving a 3 inch opening to feed the elastic. The zig-zag allowed me to sew the casing and finish the egde at the same time.
7. I threaded the elastic through the casing. Overlapping it about an inch, I sewed the elastic together being careful not to twist it. Overlapping makes the elastic about 2 inches smaller than her waist. The eyelet is very light, so that should be tight enough to hold it up, but allowing her to breath. then I sewed the casing closed.
This eyelet had ‘beading’. Beading is the open slots just wide enough for ribbon. So I threaded some pink ribbon through the slip and tied it in a bow.
here is the finished project on Jac’s form.