Archive | May 2009

First Gown Fitting


We did the first fitting of the gown last weekend.   It went beautifully.  Small modifications were made to the fitting of the bodice and we determined the length of the overall dress.  Everything fit very well.

Jac came down with Mary K, Nicole and her grandmother.  She didn’t want to take the gown off once she had it on, which is a good thing since she will be in it for a long time that day.

First Fitting

First Fitting

This is the last full length picture you will see until the wedding.  We don’t want to give too much away.

During our visit, Jac decided on  placement on the lace and beading.  We are using lace from Grammy Antonucci’s gown plus some other embellishments.

It was a good day.

Advertisements

An hour for Leann


I took an hour out this week to make a slip for Leann.  She asked me to make her an eyelet slip back around Christmas.  I purchased the eyelet in January and it has been sitting in my sewing room since.   In order to make a slip or a simple skirt, I usually purchase a length of material that is the hip measurement plus 10 inches.  That allows me to make a slim skirt or a moderately full skirt.   For the eyelet slip, I purchased double the length I needed in order to do a gathered flounce of the eyelet.

to make the slip:

1. I determined I wanted a 10 inch flounce.  this was mainly due to the amount of embroidered eyelet on the edge.   I serged the flounce off the entire length of fabric.

2. I cut the remaining fabric to her approximate hip measurement plus 8 inches.  This gives a nice loose slip.  I am doing this in one piece instead of a separate back & front for speed and ease.

3.  I gathered the flounce to the body of the slip.   I quartered each piece, then pinned the flounce to the slip gathering evenly across the full width.   Then I sewed the flounce to the slip.

4.  I determined the finished length of the slip to be 24 inches, which on Leann is a few inches below the knee.   I cut the excess off of the top of the slip.

5.  I sewed the the slip into a tube, creating one center back seam.

6.  I had 3/4 inch wide elastic for the top.  I cut that equal to her waist measurement.  I created a casing at the top of the slip by folding over 1 1/4″ and zig-zag stitching over the raw edge, leaving a 3 inch opening to feed the elastic.   The zig-zag allowed me to sew the casing and finish the egde at the same time.

7.  I threaded the elastic through the casing.  Overlapping it about an inch, I sewed the elastic together being careful not to twist it.  Overlapping makes the elastic about 2 inches smaller than her waist.  The eyelet is very light, so that should be tight enough to hold it up, but allowing her to breath.  then I sewed the casing closed.

This eyelet had ‘beading’.  Beading is the open slots just wide enough for ribbon.  So I threaded some pink ribbon through the slip and tied it in a bow.

here is the finished project on Jac’s form.

Leann's summer slip

Leann's summer slip

sewing the bodice


Another week of sewing under my belt.  This week I sewed the bodice together and the bodice lining.

bodice sewn

bodice sewn

I have decided to put an invisible zipper in the side seam in order to get in & out of the dress.   But buttons down the back of a gown are always beautiful, so I did that also.  I wanted it to look like that is the real closure.  Before I sewed the center back seam, I added button loop near the center back seam.  The I sewed the two back pieces together near the edge, as shown below.

Button loop on back

Button loop on back

sewn areas on back

sewn areas on back

By folding the fabric from the left side over to the right, I end up with a button placket that looks like it is an opening.

Folding the center back seam

Folding the center back seam

Buttons will be added:

Center Back buttons

Center Back buttons

I had the button loop left over from Leann’s gown and I probably still have enough left for another dress or a nice blouse.   That is why I need so much storage for my sewing.  I keep the remaining fabric & notions from previous projects, because you never know when you will need them again.  (At least, that is what I tell my husband that I need an entire closet just for my sewing supplies.)

Great progress.   Next weekend we have a fitting!

Sewing the skirt


The sewing has started.   This weekend I put the skirt together.  There is a lot of fabric here.  I serged all the seams to make sure they didn’t ravel.

sewing the skirt

sewing the skirt

Then I stitched the skirt together.   This is most of the effort on the skirt part.  The skirt is the easiest part to fit.  I still have to put the pleats in, but that will happen when I prepare it to be attached to the bodice.

Here is a look at the skirt with train.

Skirt with train

Skirt with train